Thursday, April 28, 2011

Again at BYU

Steve Taylor 
Well I like the painting, to me its important to understand where we started and where we should stand ourselves. We say can whatever we want, but I have seen liberalism for years and years build and build and weather at BYU or any other college campus its there. I find I like the oddities with paintings. Just an fyi there is a scripture which says "Ever learning, and never able to come to the bknowledge of the truth." 2 tim 3:7 People should put down the want to be accepted of the world, we are supposed to be odd thats how Gods people are suppose to be. We try so hard to be just like everyone else in ancient Christianity. They were wrong, and we follow suit like a puppy who wants attention. Love those around you but accept and love that the Lord has placed us in a place where we can be peculiar to the world. Trust me most people don't think we are odd or peculiar. Except that as a church they think as you most think we are too conservative. It has nothing to do with the painting and politics has nothing to do with the states or america, it has always been weather the subtleties of satan could be pushed by dividing us against each other. One day soon i fear, people like yourselves will face the hard reality of life. Call me what you will and think what you want. Truth is truth it is inflexible and unchanging.





these are the post other LDS have said. Its sick to me











  • Shawn Larkin I think I saw one of his paintings. He's certainly welcome to his opinion and welcome to paint whatever he likes. BYU is also free to endorse or reject his work (or say nothing as well). I prefer to let BYU become whatever its student body decides it wants to be, myself
    Yesterday at 10:31am ·  ·  1 person
  • Marcel De Souza dislike, for a few reasons but i rather not get into it...
    Yesterday at 10:49am · 
  • Mike McClellan I don't like it when people equate conservative and liberal with good and evil. He's really, really in love with the righteousness of his own opinions and it hasn't occurred to him that others' political and religious viewpoints are valuable and worth discussing at an institution of higher learning.
    Yesterday at 11:28am ·  ·  3 people
  • Debbie Meyers Barr I think it's important for BYU to acknowledge a variety of political opinions, and I certainly think this artist is a little extreme for my taste. And I agree with Mike that we shouldn't equate one party with good and the other with evil. It only leads to more problems.
    Yesterday at 11:37am ·  ·  2 people
  • Jeffrey Thayne I don't like his art on several levels, but I don't go around complaining that a store is selling it. I think some people have too easily offended.
    Yesterday at 12:16pm · 
  • George Barr I happen to like his paintings and I don't find the one in question offensive (it does show several typical conservatives on the wrong side as well, notice the executive on the cell phone and the man counting his filthy lucre). I also agree that we are much too sensitive in this country. That being said, I believe a store can sell or not sell what it wants and I don't think this is really that big of a deal.
    Yesterday at 3:52pm · 
  • Maggie Hansen Maxfield 
    Peter, thank you for bringing this up. I feel really strongly about this issue. I'm going to have to spend some time thinking about 1) Why this painting makes ME feel uncomfortable, as well as 2) How I feel about those who see political history in black and white. I keep writing things and erasing them on this comment. I think I'm going to have to write some kind of personal essay and publish it in my very own journal.
    Yesterday at 4:57pm ·  ·  1 person
  • Doug Rosborough BYU has always tried to avoid controversy, but often it ends up not being done very artfully and the University ends up looking kind of stupid. I think controversy often brings out the worst in people and sets them at odds with one another, and this is probably because the Holy Ghost goes away when there are strong feelings that are voiced with anger. This is another one of those tempests in a teapot.
    22 hours ago · 
  • Stephen Newman One more with those who don't like equating political positions with good and evil. I really do believe that the founding fathers were inspired, and that the Lord helped form this country even, (creating an environment where the church could be restored) but the painting makes me uncomfortable too.
    11 hours ago · 
  • Chad Farnes I cant stand this guys paintings. I think they are worse than Simon Dewey's (which I may be opening a can of worms, but I hate Simon Dewey and think his art is aweful). I don't think this shows that the bookstore or BYU or too liberal. I think this shows how far right conservative the picture is (especially when it isn't accepted at one of the most conservative schools in the nation)
    10 hours ago · 
  • Chad Farnes 
    OK, I just read over the article again and I just realized that I came across too strongly. I dont have a problem with this picture, but I've got a problem with the artist, mainly because of his other picture "The Forgotten Man". After seeing the forgotten man, I can't stand any of his stuff. It just put a bad taste in my mouth and thats why I don't like the Christ and the Constitution picture. May be it is the same for others?
    10 hours ago · 

No comments:

Post a Comment